The purpose of this document is to protect employees, pupils, parents, visitors, contractors and property from harm and damage and in doing so meets the legal requirements of the Health and Safety in Employment Act (1992).
The Board requires that all activities procedures and policies of St Francis Catholic School will demonstrate in action and principle the Catholic Character of this school.
- Health and Safety in Employment Act (1992)
- Smoke free Environments Act (1990)
This policy applies to all St Francis Catholic School employees, pupils, trustees, visitors and contractors.
School Charter, specifically containing:
- Three year Strategic Plan,
- Annual Plan
- Religious Education Curriculum Plan
- Self review Plan.
- 10 year property Plan
- Health and Safety manual
- Operational manual
All policies and procedure documents and manuals of St Francis Catholic School will support in action and principle the foundation of this policy.
Guidelines to the Health & Safety in Employment Act and the Health & Safety Code of Practice for State and State Integrated Schools: Section 3. September 2003.
The Board is committed to and responsible for providing a healthy and safe environment for all employees, pupils, visitors, trustees and contractors.
To meet this commitment, Board of Trustees will take practicable steps to:
- Provide a safe workplace, equipment and conditions.
- Establish and insist on safe work practices.
- Comply with relevant legislation, regulations, code of practice and safe operating procedures.
- Ensure accurate reporting and recording.
- Ensure that all staff have an understanding of Health and Safety practices and resources required to work within St Francis School.
Health and Safety is the responsibility of all employees and is essential to the function and success of St Francis Catholic School. Health and safety is integrated into all aspects of the school environment. Specific responsibilities are with:
- Board of Trustees
- Health and Safety Representative
Contractors are to follow the requirements of a “visitor”, additional to meeting the legal obligations of Health and Safety Employment Act (1992), as maintained by the contractors’ employer.
All inside and outside areas of St Francis Catholic School are designated as smoke free at all times.
This policy is implemented through the application of all associated documents stated above.